Don't Underestimate House Mice Around Your Yakima County Home
April 16, 2020
There are many pests that you might encounter in your Yakima County home. While many common pests are insects, some of the most difficult to deal with and common pests are rodents. House mice are actually one of the most common types of pests that invade homes in the area. While some pets are mostly a nuisance, others can cause significant issues. Problem pests can destroy property or cause health risks. Mice are a big problem because they can do both of these things.
Another issue with house mice is that they are hard to get rid of. While swatting and killing a fly might not be too difficult, getting rid of a small mammal is much harder. While there are different species of rodents that you can encounter in your Yakima home, house mice are some of the most common. Knowing what they look like can be helpful in identifying and preventing them.
- They have short hair that is usually light brown to grey.
- Their ears are large proportionally to their heads, and their tales are longer than their bodies.
- Their droppings are like small rods and are pointed on both ends.
- They usually only reach up to 20 cm in length.
Mice Are More Dangerous Than Many Realize
When you think of a mouse, you might think of a small, cute creature. While mice can be cute and seem harmless, they are actually more dangerous to humans than you may realize. They pose many health risks and even their droppings can make humans sick. On top of this, they can damage your home and belongings.
Here are some of the health risks house mice pose:
- Mice can spread around 35 diseases.
- These diseases can be spread by their droppings.
- They commonly get into food sources which makes the spread of disease more likely.
- They occasionally bite and these bites can cause allergic reactions or, in rare cases, spread viral disease.
- They can cause respiratory issues by filling walls with feces.
Mice can also cause property damage. Mice have been known to:
- Chew through wires.
- Chew plumbing and water lines.
- Chew through clothes.
- Eat and contaminate food.
Why Getting Rid Of Mice Is So Difficult
When you encounter a mouse in your home, one of the common reactions is to try to get rid of it on your own. Many people try to handle these infestations using things like mouse traps of varying kinds. While these might be effective for getting rid of one or two mice, they often fail to get rid of entire infestations. Mice are prolific and breed quickly. A female mouse can get pregnant up to ten times a year and give birth to up to 14 pups each time!
Getting Rid Of Mice For Good
The safest and most effective way to get rid of a mouse infestation in your Yakima County home is to contact the pest control professionals at Prosite Pest Control. We provide residential and commercial rodent control. We also offer a wide range of program options that are as low as $29 a month.