The Trick To Keeping Mosquitoes Away From Your Yakima County Yard
June 29, 2020
When it comes to annoying pests, mosquitos might be at the top of the list. However, did you know that mosquitos are much more than just obnoxious? They are dangerous, too. Mosquitos are considered to be the most dangerous pest in the world due to the number of deadly diseases they spread.
That is precisely why you should do everything in your power to keep mosquito populations around your property to a minimum. Knowing both what attracts mosquitoes and some preventative techniques will go a long way in keeping you and your family safe.
How To Identify Mosquitoes And Their Habitats
There are over 40 different species of mosquitoes here in Yakima County. However, the two that you are most likely to encounter are the Northern House Mosquito and the Western Encephalitis Mosquito.
- Northern House Mosquitos have slender bodies covered in golden-brown scales. They have long thin legs, hairy wings, and tube-like mouthparts for feeding.
- Western Encephalitis Mosquitoes have dark bodies with white bands on their tube-like mouthparts. Their long thin legs also have white bands on them.
- Mosquitos require water for reproduction. Females mosquitos will lay their eggs in it and the larvae develop on standing water. Because of this, mosquitos are often found in areas where standing water is abundant. This could be lakes, ponds, marshes, or even some low-lying areas around your property.
The Dangers Of Mosquitos
Mosquitoes feed on the blood of warm-blooded animals, including humans. Because of this, they are known to transmit a vast array of blood-borne diseases as they travel from host to host. Though many of the diseases that mosquitoes spread tend to be limited to certain parts of the world, there are several diseases that are spread by mosquitoes here in Yakima County. These include West Nile virus, western equine encephalitis, and St. Louis encephalitis.
It’s safe to say that you don’t want to encounter any disease from a mosquito. Therefore, you should do everything in your power to reduce their presence around your property.
Ways To Prevent Mosquitoes From Invading Your Property
Though it is impossible to completely rid your property of mosquitos, there are some steps you can take to reduce your risk of exposure. The primary goal when it comes to mosquito prevention is eliminating any areas of standing water from around your property. With that in mind, here are the steps you should take to help keep mosquitoes away:
- Fill in holes and low-lying areas around your property.
- Keep gutters free of leaves and debris to prevent a buildup of water.
- Fix any leaks that may result in puddling.
- Keep lawn and vegetation around your property well-maintained.
- Use screens in windows and exterior doors.
- Fix any holes in existing screens.
Utilizing these techniques, while not 100% effective, should help to reduce the numbers of mosquitos around your property. However, if your property is close to a marsh, pond, or heavily-wooded area, you may require professional assistance.
The Best Method For Mosquito Control
As previously stated, mosquito prevention can be quite difficult especially if there are factors outside of your control. That’s why the best method for mosquito control is calling the professionals here at Prosite Pest Control.
At Prosite Pest Control, we have trained pest professionals who will provide ongoing mosquito control to your property so that you and your loved ones can feel safe outside. Don’t let mosquitoes ruin your yard. Give us a call today.