The Key To Keeping Springtails Away From Your Kittitas County Home
May 30, 2022
Most people are familiar with ants, spiders, and other common household pests. However, many homeowners are not familiar with springtails – until they become a problem. Springtails are tiny insects found near moisture sources such as ponds, streams, and damp basements.
They also love to feed on decaying material such as fungi, algae, and mold. In large numbers, they can become an inconvenience. If you're experiencing an infestation of springtails and would like relief, consult a Kittitas pest control expert.
What Is A Springtail?
These primitive insects are tiny and wingless, measuring roughly one millimeter long. Springtails can be found indoors and outdoors in moist areas such as soil, mulch, or decaying wood. They get their name from a spring-like appendage used for jumping when disturbed.
Fortunately, they're not dangerous to humans or pets. They don't bite, sting, spread disease, or cause damage to the home. However, their presence can be an indicator of a more severe problem.
If you notice springtail bugs in your Kittitas house, it's important to understand why they're there in the first place. This will make remedying the situation much easier. Springtails move in search of:
- Food: Springtails feed on fungi, algae, and mold. If you notice many of these insects in one area, you may have a mold problem.
- Moisture: Springtails require moisture to survive and move toward any available water source, including leaking pipes or damp basements.
- Warmth: They thrive in warm temperatures and are most active between the spring and fall months. When they gain access to your home, they can breed quickly if left unchecked.
Silver springtails are sometimes confused with silverfish, which look similar but have different habits. Contact a pest control expert today if you require silverfish or springtail removal in Kittitas, WA. They'll be able to identify the insects and develop a treatment plan tailored to your specific needs.
Can Springtails Affect Your Home?
As earlier indicated, the presence of Springtails can point to a more significant problem. For example, if you notice them in your home and suspect that there may be mold, termites, or water damage present, consider taking action as soon as possible. The longer the mold damage or water leak goes unchecked, the worse the end damage.
Springtails Like Water And Humid Areas
Springtails are often found near a moisture source because they need it to survive. This makes them a common problem for homeowners and businesses during the Spring months when the weather begins to warm up and precipitation levels rise.
Luckily, you can limit their presence in your home by keeping it dry. This means you should use ventilation fans when showering, fix leaky pipes as soon as possible, and make sure there aren't any damp areas in the house, such as a basement or crawlspace.
Additionally, consider doing the following:
- If you have a pet, keep their food and water bowls clean to reduce the amount of moisture in your home.
- Don't use mulch around the foundation; instead, choose stone or gravel.
- Reduce the moisture level in your lawn by watering it less often than usual during periods of drought or when temperatures rise above 90 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove any plants that are growing too close to your home. Plants can attract springtails and other pests.
If the springtail infestation in Kittitas is too much for you to handle on your own, don't hesitate to contact a pest control contractor.
The Easiest Way To Keep Springtails Away
The easiest way of dealing with springtails in Kittitas is to prevent them from entering your home in the first place. Prevention is always better than cure, and it's a whole lot easier, cheaper, and less time-consuming.
However, for lasting springtail treatment in Kittitas, contact Prosite Pest Control. We also offer a wide range of services that are perfect for any budget. Let us help you get rid of your springtail problem for good.