The Ultimate Fall Pest Prevention Guide For Yakima County Property Owners
September 30, 2020
Did you know that pests often become a big problem during the fall months? While you likely become aware of pest problems that occur in the summer because these pests are often visible, you might not realize that pests can be a problem at any time of the year. Summer and fall pests might be different, but they can all be invasive and some are even dangerous.
Common fall pests are those that start to come indoors when the weather cools down because they are in search of shelter. Once the summer starts to end and temperatures drop, there are certain pests you’re more likely to encounter around your Yakima County property. Some of the most common fall pests include:
Because of the many problems these pests can cause, we’ve put together a fall pest prevention guide to help you protect your home or business.
What Are The Risks Of Fall Pests?
While some of these pests, especially beetles and some species of spiders, are just considered a nuisance, others can pose health risks or cause property damage. But even the nuisance fall pests can be problematic because they are invasive and can be difficult to remove. Here are some of the biggest problems associated with common fall pests in the area:
- Cockroaches can spread diseases like salmonella and gastroenteritis.
- Rodents can spread diseases such as hantavirus.
- Rodents and cockroaches can cause allergy and asthma problems.
- Spiders like the black widow can harm humans with their venom.
- Rodents can cause respiratory problems as their feces builds up in walls.
- Rodents and cockroaches can contaminate food.
- Mice and rats can destroy property by chewing through piping, wires, and drywall.
The Most Effective Fall Pest Prevention Tips
To help protect your property from these issues and avoid the dangers associated with certain fall pests, you can take steps to prevent them. While it’s not possible to guarantee you’ll never have pest problems after taking these steps, you can reduce the risk of an infestation. Here are the best pest prevention tips you should follow:
- As many pests are attracted to damp environments, make sure you fix any leaky pipes or faucets.
- If your building has moisture issues, use dehumidifiers.
- Ensure that crawl spaces, attics, and basements are well-ventilated.
- Seal up entry points by caulking cracks in walls.
- Make sure that door and window screens aren’t ripped.
- Keep outdoor trash cans fitted with lids.
- Store pet food indoors in airtight containers.
- Regularly mow your lawn and clean up any organic matter.
- Clean your home regularly with a focus on vacuuming and sweeping.
- Declutter your home often as some pests will hide under clutter.
- Install weather stripping and door sweeps.
- Remove standing water from your property.
- Get help from pest control experts.
How You Can Protect Your Home From Fall Pests
After you’ve done all you can to pest-proof your home, the last and most important step is to get help from the pest control experts at Prosite Pest Control. Our technicians provide on-going pest control year-round to protect properties from pests. We can treat your property for pests to prevent infestations, and we can also remove any current pest problems. Contact us today to book a free consultation.