Summer Bed Bug-Prevention Guide for Kittitas Residents
May 15, 2019
Summer is almost here. While this means nice days, backyard barbeques, and time at the pool, it also means bed bug season will soon be in full swing. This bed bug-prevention guide for Kittitas residents will help you keep your home bed bug free this summer.
Why Summer is Bed Bug Season
Bed bugs are pests that remain active year round, so it’s a bit misleading to say that summer is bed bug season. The reason it got that name is because it is the season when bed bugs are most active. Bed bugs love hot, humid weather which makes the summer months the time of year when bed bugs are most likely to move around. Since summer is also the time of year when people are most likely to travel, it becomes the season when bed bugs are most likely to end up in new places.
Bed Bug Prevention Tips
Regardless of whether you have summer travel plans or not, your Kittitas home is at risk for a bed bug infestation. Any time you go out in a public place, there’s a risk that a bed bug will crawl onto you or something you’re carrying. It can then get into your house without you realizing it.
Preventing bed bugs can be difficult because they usually enter your home by riding in on a person or bag. It’s not a matter of protecting the perimeter of your house like you might with pests in your yard. You need to be watchful to try to catch a bed bug infestation before it begins. The following tips will help.
- After being out and about, check yourself over before entering your home to ensure no bed bugs are coming in with you.
- Check packages and bags before bringing them into your home.
- Do periodic checks of your home for bed bugs, bug casings, eggs, fecal matter that appears as light brown streaks on fabric, and small red dots on fabric, especially sheets. Places to look include along the seams of mattresses and upholstery, under sheets, between mattresses and headboards, behind picture frames on walls, and along the edges of walls.
- When you go on vacation, check the room you stay in for any signs of bed bugs before bringing your luggage inside.
- Keep your luggage up off the floor during your stay.
- Upon your arrival home, check through your belongings before bringing them inside.
- Wash all clothing on a hot-water cycle and dry it on high heat before putting it away.
What to Do if Bed Bugs Invade
If you see signs of bed bugs in your home, contact Prosite Pest Control. Even with small infestations, bed bugs are difficult to eliminate, and you want to make sure you get it right the first time. We offer free bed bug inspections, as well as several treatment options based on the size and scope of your infestation as well as your particular needs and preferences. We also guarantee our services. For more information and to discuss which bed bug treatment option is right for you, give Prosite a call.