Summer Bed Bug Prevention Guide For Kittitas Residents
May 15, 2019
Summer is almost here. While this means nice days, backyard barbeques, and time at the pool. And while bed bugs don't have a particular season, pest control professionals across the country notice an uptick in bed bug calls during the summer months. This bed bug prevention guide for Kittitas residents will help you keep your home bed bug free this summer.
Why do bed bug problems increase in the summer?
According to the 2018 Bugs Without Borders Survey, more than half of pest control companies surveyed reported receiving the most bed bug complaints during the summer. Increased travel during the summer season is noted as a factor for the increase in bed bug activity which is likely families and individuals heading out on vacations or college-aged kids heading home or elsewhere for their summer break.
How do you prevent bed bugs?
Regardless of whether you have summer travel plans or not, your Kittitas home is at risk for a bed bug infestation. Any time you go out in a public place, there’s a risk that a bed bug will crawl onto you or something you’re carrying. It can then get into your house without you realizing it.
Preventing bed bugs can be difficult because they usually enter your home by riding in on a person or bag. It’s not a matter of protecting the perimeter of your house like you might with pests in your yard. You need to be watchful to try to catch a bed bug infestation before it begins. The following bed bug prevention tips will help.
- After being out and about, check yourself over before entering your home to ensure no bed bugs are coming in with you.
- Check packages and bags before bringing them into your home.
- Do periodic checks of your home for bed bugs, bug casings, eggs, fecal matter that appears as light brown streaks on fabric, and small red dots on fabric, especially sheets. Places to look include along the seams of mattresses and upholstery, under sheets, between mattresses and headboards, behind picture frames on walls, and along the edges of walls.
- When you go on vacation, check the room you stay in for any signs of bed bugs before bringing your luggage inside.
- Keep your luggage up off the floor during your stay.
- Upon your arrival home, check through your belongings before bringing them inside.
- Wash all clothing on a hot-water cycle and dry it on high heat before putting it away.
What to do if you find bed bugs in your Kittitas home
If you see signs of bed bugs in your home, contact Prosite Pest Control. Even with small infestations, bed bugs are difficult to eliminate, and you want to make sure you get it right the first time.
At Prosite Pest Control, we offer comprehensive bed bug control in Kittitas that includes a free bed bug inspection, comprehensive bed bug treatments and follow up to ensure these biting bugs are eliminated. What's more, your home might qualify for our bed bug guarantee.
What are you waiting for? You have nothing to lose but the bed bugs! Contact us today to learn more or to schedule your FREE bed bug inspection.