Springtime Cockroach Prevention Tips For Kittitas Residents
April 17, 2019
It is amazing that a creature as small as a cockroach is able to cause so much trouble. Just in jump scares alone, cockroaches claim their place as one of the most unwanted pests in homes. There is something about their sleek, oval bodies, long antenna, and creepy bent legs that causes unrest, and that’s just their appearance. If you have ever heard a cockroach or seen it move across a room at lightning speeds, you know the fear these hard-to-crush pests can cause.
Factors that attract roaches into Kittitas homes
Just like we need certain things such as food, water, and a place to stay, cockroaches have basic needs that have to be met when they wander into a home. It is only when they find what they are looking for in your home that they decide to stick around. And these needs are the same as ours: food, water, and shelter.
For food, they scavenge in areas where we leave food behind. Often times they will find this underneath an appliance or somewhere food has been dropped and forgotten.
For water, cockroaches need less in liquid form, but more as a gas. That is to say, cockroaches need environments that are high in humidity such as basements, crawlspaces, and around sewers.
For shelter, cockroaches need items that they can squeeze under. Because cockroaches prefer to have their backs and bellies touching a surface at the same time, you can expect them to prefer tight spaces such as under refrigerators, stoves, and other items with gaps under them.
Easy cockroach prevention tips
To deter cockroaches from sticking around once they have wandered inside, consider these following prevention tips.
- Clean, clean, clean. The cleaner your home is, the less filth-loving cockroaches will want to stick around.
- Be sure not to leave food out overnight for cockroaches to munch on after the lights go out.
If grease spills on the floor, clean it up immediately as grease is a favorite snack for cockroaches.
- Consider keeping your eating to one room as food dropped under the couch or in bedrooms are quick ways to attract unwanted roaches.
- Make sure all of your trashcans have tight-fitting lids and cannot be easily accessed by foraging roaches.
- Reduce moisture around your home. One way you can do this is by installing a dehumidifier in your basement where cockroaches are likely to seek shelter.
Professional pest control in Kittitas that gets rid of roaches
In addition to implementing the prevention tips above, we recommend signing up for an ongoing pest control program. Keep roaches and other pests away from your family and home with an effective home pest control plan from the Kittitas pest control pros at Prosite.
With plans starting as low as $29/month, there is sure to be a solution that eliminates pests from your home without breaking your budget. Contact us for more information on home pest control in Kittitas.